| Background Information
|| Darshan Upadhyaya
| Country of Birth:
|| November 12, 1994
|| North America
|| Counter Logic Gaming
| Favorite champions:
| Alternate IDs:
|| NA: DmoneyakaDdollas, EthiI, LFTEAMTOPMIDJUNG, evitcepsreP, Darshan
| Social Media and Links
| Team History
| Share this Page
Darshan "Darshan" Upadhyaya is the top laner for Counter Logic Gaming.
ZionSpartan hails from Poway, California in the USA. He was one of the founding members of Good Game University and then went on to play for Team Coast. After Coast was relegated from the LCS, he joined Dignitas and played there during the summer split.
On October 20th 2014, ZionSpartan announced his free agency. Over the next two weeks, rumors grew that he was going to move to Counter Logic Gaming, though there were claims that Riot was investigating a possible poaching allegation. On November 7th, the rumors were proven true and CLG announced that ZionSpartan was joining the team as their new toplaner.
For the first eight weeks of the spring split, CLG were never lower in the standings than tied for second place, and the only reason they didn't receive a playoff bye was that they lost a second-place tie breaker to Cloud9 and so ended up in third place. CLG fans called the split CLG's "golden age," but the question still remained whether CLG could perform in the playoffs, especially after a dramatic comeback loss to Team SoloMid the first time the two teams met in the round robin. Ultimately, CLG were unable to perform in playoffs, as they lost to Team Liquid in the quarterfinals and ended the split tied for fifth place with Gravity.
Echoing their spring split performance, CLG started the summer split strong, in first place at the end of each of the first four weeks and then lost four games in a row to finish tied for fifth after week six. This time, however, they rebounded and ended the season in second, behind Team Liquid and with a 13-5 record. They received a bye in the first round of the playoffs and then swept both Team Impulse and Team SoloMid 3-0, to win their first LAN event since MLG Raleigh in 2011 nearly four years prior and receive North America's top seed to Worlds. Despite having a relatively easy group draw with KOO Tigers, Flash Wolves, and paiN Gaming, CLG didn't advance from their Worlds group, ending with a 2-4 record including a loss to paiN.
After two major roster changes - Stixxay replacing long-time AD carry Doublelift and HuHi replacing Pobelter - CLG attended IEM San Jose in November 2015, where they defeated Unicorns of Love and Jin Air Green Wings before losing to Origen. ZionSpartan also renamed to Darshan going into the tournament. Their performance earned them a seed into IEM Katowice, which they attended after the seventh week of the LCS. However, despite being in a strong position domestically, in second place behind only the almost-undefeated Immortals (to whom CLG had handed their only loss of the season the week before), CLG were eliminated immediately from Katowice, losing first to SK Telecom T1 and then to Fnatic.
CLG entered the LCS playoffs in second place, still behind Immortals, and still the only team to have beaten Immortals in the regular season. They won their semifinal series against Team Liquid in five games, winning the last game with a double teleport play to catch out Piglet and close out a win. Despite seeding expectations, their finals match was against TSM, who had 3-0'd Immortals the week before. This series also went to five games, and CLG once again won, qualifying for the Mid-Season Invitational.
Returning to North America for the Summer Split, CLG were expected to be at the top of the league after their MSI performance. However, not only did they fail to achieve that, but they weren't even in the top half of the standings until week 6. From there, they climbed to a fourth place regular season finish. In the playoffs, CLG first faced off against Team Liquid, whom they beat 3-1, before falling to TSM 3-0 in the semifinals. Crucially, one of Huhi's signature mid lane champions Aurelion Sol was found to have a bug partway through their first game, and the game was remade with Aurelion Sol disabled for the rest of the playoffs (though it was generally accepted that TSM would have won regardless). CLG lost the third-place to Immortals but automatically qualified for the World Championship based on Championship Points due to TSM's finals win over Cloud9.
CLG were seeded into Group A at Worlds, alongside the ROX Tigers, G2 Esports, and wildcard Albus NoX Luna. Going into the group, CLG and G2 were seen as contenders for the second seed, while Tigers and Albus NoX were expected to finish first and last, respectively. Instead, CLG dropped both of their games to the wildcard team, and ANX skyrocketed to a second-place group stage finish while G2 collapsed into last place; CLG ended their Worlds run in third with a 3-3 record.
- Known for his Fizz, Akali, Nidalee and Jayce.
- Has a reputation of playing a phenomenal Jayce, such that he's become a standard ban for many teams facing CST.
- His favorite champion is Rumble.
- Even his teacher calls him ZionSpartan.
- Was part of the Season 3 World Championship analyst desk.
- He was born in Canada and moved to Washington at the age of 2. He moved to Southern California when he was 10-11.
- Originates from India.
Current Season Statistics
| NA LCS 2017 Spring Statistics
- Click here for full 2017 season statistics.
- January 26th, Darshan on CLG's future: 'We've got the formula down for what we need to do to improve' with theScore
- February 2nd, Darshan Discusses CLG's Match Against Echo Fox - Why His Old Pants Are Now LCS Banned with G|League
- February 10th, Darshan on TSM: They're not as strong as what I expected halfway through the season' with theScore
- February 28th, Darshan on Immortals: 'What that game shows is that any team can really win any game' with theScore
- April 8th, [LoL] Head-to-Head: Lourlo vs. Darshan with theScore
- April 11th, Darshan on CLG's win over TL: 'I'm still kind of in disbelief that we won' with theScore
- April 19th, Darshan: ’NA deserves more, we deserve more, I want to make a statement at MSI’ with Yahoo!
- May 7th, Darshan: 'This experience is going to make us come back to North America as such a stronger team' with Marcel Feldkamp on theScore
- May 9th, Darshan: "We're making NA a region that people can be proud of" with Travis Gafford on Yahoo Esports
- May 21st, Reddit AMA
- June 20th, Darshan:the community's opinion of Huhi is sad, ‘I honestly believe he's one of the best mids in NA’ with theScore
- July 11th, Darshan on how nV isn’t the type to ‘fall down, die & lose’ and why his TP play has gotten worse with theScore
- August 29th, Darshan says there's no choice but to bootcamp in Korea, CLG might have stayed in NA if others had with theScore
- October 3rd, Darshan: 'If any team wants to leave Aurelion Sol up against us, it's a pretty big mistake' with ESPN
- February 1st, ZionSpartan: "I think we're better than TSM." (video) with onGamers
- February 9th, Interview with ZionSpartan at IEM Cologne 2014 with ThePlayable
- June 2nd, NA LCS 2015: ZionSpartan - "Rob sucks at doing interviews." with SK Gaming
- June 9th, Aphromoo and Zionspartan Break Down Their Loss to TSM and What It Means with GameSpot
- July 21st, Zion on CLG's Streak, AP Items, Says TSM Has Lost Their Identity with onGamers
- July 26th, ZionSpartan on his champion selection, CLG's pick-ban phase and his team's biggest competition with theScore
- July 29th, CLG ZionSpartan - 20 Questions with HyperX
- August 15th, CLG's ZionSpartan: "The golden age has finally come. It is our Faith age, whatever you want to call it." with theScore
- September 20th, EITHER/OR with CLG's ZionSpartan with theScore
- October 2nd, Zionspartan: 'KOO are a really strong team, but I think we can beat them pretty handily' with The Daily Dot
- November 22nd, Darshan and HuHi on playing with a new roster, CLG's game against UoL and looking ahead to 2016 with theScore
- November 23rd, CLG Darshan – "I prefer being called Darshan" with Team Liquid
- November 28th, Darshan on Getting Randomly Drug Tested at IEM San Jose and CLG's Second Place Finish with onGamers
- December 13th, Darshan on Watching All Stars From the Desk and His New Singing Career with onGamers
- February 15th, ZionSpartan shares his thoughts about Coast's match against XDG (video) with onGamers
- May 24th, ZionSpartan talks about their matches in the first weekend of LCS (video) with onGamers
- May 31st, Interview with ZionSpartan about Super Week, fitting in, and the future with Team Dignitas
- July 20th, ZionSpartan: '...We're not going to be the same Dignitas that everyone's been used to seeing...' (video) with onGamers
- August 3rd, ZionSpartan talks about their strats to playoffs (video) with onGamers
- August 29th, ZionSpartan breaks down his matches vs. CLG (video) with onGamers
- November 8th, Travis meets with new CLG members, Scarra and ZionSpartan (video) with onGamers
- December 30th, Ask The Pros: CLG's ZionSpartan with LoL Esports
- January 12th, ZionSpartan and GGU secure LCS Season 3 spot with ESFI World
- January 14th, ZionSpartan talks about GGU's road to Season 3 (video) with GameSpot
- February 15th, GGU's ZionSpartan - "It's basically just a game of cat and mouse." (video) with Leaguepedia
- March 31st, League of Legends LCS WK7 - ZionSpartan - GGU vs. Vulcun (video) with MachinimaVS
- April 12th, Zionspartan talks GGU vs MRN, beard for Shiptur and Daydreaming (video) with GameSpot
- April 27th, League of Legends Spring Playoffs - DontMashMe & ZionSpartan - GGU vs. Dignitas (video) with MachinimaVS
- April 28th, ZionSpartan and Daydreamin talk match vs Curse and going to Prom (video) with GameSpot
- June 21st, ZionSpartan talks Team Coast's match against Velocity eSports (video) with GameSpot
- July 27th, LCS Week 7 Day 2 CST ZionSpartan "Everything about a champion is how you percieve it" (video) with Leaguepedia
- August 1st, ZionSpartan talks about Team Coast's Comeback in the LCS Week 8 (video) with GameSpot
- September 10th, The Inner League - Darshan "ZionSpartan" Upadhyaya - Episode 3 (video) with LolKing
Articles & Videos
GGU ZionSpartan 2013 Spring
CST ZionSpartan 2013 Summer
CLG ZionSpartan 2015 Spring
- ↑ ZionSpartan's Twitter - twitter.com
- ↑ Zionspartan joins CLG! blog.ibuypower.com
- ↑ Exit the Dragon: On Competitive Integrity and Aurelion Sol thescoreesports.com
- ↑ Even his teacher calls him ZionSpartan youtube.com
- ↑ Casters and analysts announced for Worlds lolesports.com
- ↑ League Community Podcast Ep. 4 na.leagueoflegends.com
- ↑ Player Spotlight: Darshan-CLG LoL youtube.com